Monday, February 28, 2005

A Discovery

I don't have a lot to do at my job. The second semester has started, so I'm teaching again, but still--I have to be in my office from about 9 to 3 every day, and I don't spend a lot of that time working. Instead, I mess around on the world wide interweb.

Despite my devotion to the interweb (and I love the internet like poor sweet John Frusciante loved heroin in the mid-nineties...seriously, if it's been more than a few hours since I've checked my email, I get all twitchy and shit.), any way, despite my addiction, I tend to run out of things to do on the internet. I mean, one can only spend so much time Googling the names of boys that one had crushes on in elementary school. (For the record, I have yet to find anyone in this way. "Hunter Schmidt" has no internet presence that I can discover, so if you know him, please tell him from me that I thought he was the hotness in third grade. Whoo. Anyways.)

So I discovered a page with a whole bunch of uncollected J.D. Salinger stories. They're mostly from his early writing, before he wrote Catcher in the Rye, I think, and before any of the Glass family stories. Some of them are kind of over-sentimental, but a lot of them are damn good. Some of them are, in fact, about the Caulfield family. They really make me want to re-read Catcher, because I'd always thought it wasn't nearly as good as the Glass stories.

Anyway, "Last Day of the Last Furlough" totally made me cry, y'all. I highly recommend it.

In other news, I heart Peter Zelasko, and I will definitely find a way to namecheck him in my Culture Talk, whatever its topic ends up being.

1 Comments:

Blogger phil said...

for another place to waste time on the internet: www.rathergood.com

especially the tales of the blode and the viking kittens

2/3/05 09:20  

Post a Comment

<< Home