Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Pride cometh before

In the spirit of Lent, since I still can't think of anything to give up that wouldn't throw my existence into disarray*, I present this episode from my past, wherein I look Mildly Foolish.

It must have been almost exactly two years ago. We were sitting there in class about 2pm, me and Mel at the far corner of the table, with Grandpa Jack and the Summa droning away around us. Writing notes on a sheet of paper between us, as was our wont. Graduation was bearing down, and I was lamenting my employment prospects:

Ridley: (histrionically) How the fuck am I going to get a job, dog?? Here's my entire resume, every bleeding line of it: "My name is Ridley. I have not mispelled a word since the 8th grade. Please hire me."

Mel: Dude, I hate to tell you. But the word is 'misspell'.



I was a tad crestfallen. I'm pretty sure it was the first time since 8th grade, too. Then again, it was also a pretty awesome example of The Joke Is On Me, so I think it was worth it.

Man, being a senior was so scary. I wish I could go back and tell my then-self that everything would be ok. But then again, there've been lots of times between now and then that things weren't ok, particularly. It's probably a good thing that you just have to muddle through it, without knowing what's coming next.



*my life is a precariously balanced system of sticks and carrots and self-medication, ok? don't be judgin'.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it "Pride GOETH before a fall"?

12/3/06 05:47  

Post a Comment

<< Home