Sunday, February 05, 2006

All the way to Buttfuck, Asia!

Holy fucking shit I know what I absolutely have to do someday: The Mongol Rally.

Check that shit out! It's a race from London to Ulan Bataar, the capital of Mongolia. You can use any kind of car you like -- as long as it's a model that's "generally considered to be crap" and has less than 1000 cc's engine capacity. Like a Trabant or a Fiat. Or a Geo Metro.

Holy shit, yo. How much fun would that be? It only takes, like, 3 or 4 weeks, assuming you actually make it all the way to the finish. Their advice for the Mongolia leg of the trip is just to drive from yurt to yurt, asking directions, because it's apparently been experientially proven that every single map of Mongolia is wrong.

I'd need a co-pilot. Crashboxing would be pretty much perfect. He'd have the mechanical end of it covered, and I could deal with languages and navigation and whatnot. Plus I think we'd both be pretty handy with a tire iron if it came to a fight with the locals. It would be awesome!


So. Another thing to put down on The List, along with doing the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela, and crossing an ocean in a sailboat. I'm excited.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

Can I come? I could help with the ... er ... um ... well I'm sure you'll need a philosopher along. Just in case.

6/2/06 03:58  
Blogger ridley said...

Of course you can come! It'll be a party in a Fiat!

6/2/06 12:01  
Blogger clara said...

dude! we totally have to take Luke Hat! Mr H just keeps collecting the ol' metros!

7/2/06 12:57  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so great,

Thank you for posting this. I think this appeals to many who have done "road trips" cross country. I hope that some of you will take this seriously. You will never regret it, I am certain.

9/2/06 20:48  

Post a Comment

<< Home