Tuesday, November 22, 2005

The Netflix Chronicles continue...

I just saw a pretty damn good movie: Kontroll, from Hungary. It reminded me a lot of Miller's Crossing, in certain ways, and more distantly of Hard Eight ...all filtered through something like Run Lola Run.

And, like Miller's Crossing but even more so, the main character* in this movie is severely, breathtakingly attractive. Albeit somewhat blood-streaked by the end. And maddeningly familiar, somehow...I kept thinking I've seen this guy before, but I haven't seen any of his other films, and if I'd actually met someone as desperately good-looking as that, you'd think I'd remember, right? It's a mystery.


Also, very gratifying to find out: kurva is a naughty word in nearly every Eastern European language. Even a heathenish non-Indo-European one like Hungarian.

*Sándor Csányi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home