Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Does the group you're referring to have their own army? No? Then DON'T FUCKING CAPITALIZE IT.**

You know what really pisses me off?

Well, yeah, "everything," fair enough.

But in particular, the subject of this morning's Two-Minute Hate: people who inappropriately capitalize words. Yeah, that seems a little strange coming from me, considering that I randomly capitalize All the Damn Time. But when I do it, it's With Irony Aforethought, for literary* effect and shit. What pisses me off is when people capitalize perfectly normal group designators for no damn reason. For example: "It is hard for me to understand what these Liberals think..." "I like all types of music except for Country music, its crap." This irritates the living fuck out of me.

I think what makes it so infuriating is that it's overcorrecting. It's why people say "He gave it to Brad and I..." when there is a fucking OBJECTIVE CASE CALLED FOR THERE. Saying "Me and Brad are here" is also incorrect, but it's a hell of a lot less pretentious.


Man, can you tell it's a struggle to write these days? At least I can always fall back on spewing bile at total strangers.


*well, ok, for "literary" effect. Heh.

**Obviously there are exceptions to this. I mean, we still capitalize Czech. Haha! I'm kidding -- the Czech Republic does in fact have an army, but all they seem to do is Look Sexy on the Metro. But they do that very well indeed...keep up the good work, čeští vojáci!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home