Friday, October 07, 2005

Oh, it's queer all right

During the course of some research I was doing for a post I might finish one of these days, I actually read (or at least scanned) all the way through a long and truly stultifying article on Queer Theory. This thing was just...wow. At one point, boyfriend used the word “recuperate” as a transitive verb, and I thought my eyes were going to roll all the way to the back of my head. I guess “rehabiliate” or even “revive” would just be too damn straight for him.

But it was all worth it for this absolute gem I found: the term homosocial. As in, “Last night was ok, but you know it always turns homosocial when those dudes get together.” And, “Huh, this college we went to sure did emphasize compulsory homosociality. No wonder the boys never came out of their dorms.” It’s like another word for a penis party, which is an excellent mot juste for a fairly common phenomenon, except I was never able to keep a straight face when I said “penis party.” Plus it has the added (or maybe just increased) overtone of seething latent homosexuality, which is always good to have.

2 Comments:

Blogger erin is nice said...

penis party. hehehe.

8/10/05 21:15  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like Ss. Peter and Paul Dorm at That Annonymous College...

10/10/05 19:43  

Post a Comment

<< Home