Friday, October 21, 2005

O špatném filmu, or Netflix Fails to Come Through

Ok, I just watched the most depressing movie ever. It's called Zurek, and I seriously do not recommend it, at all. There was not one single redeeming feature to this movie. It wasn't even a tearjerker -- it moved past the point of poignancy, right into the territory of they're beating up a retarded girl, for fuck's sake. Hell, it was past saving in the first five minutes. Also: ugly Polish people having ugly, ugly sex. Ulch.

And it's not like I don't love a nice dark Slavic movie. But damn. This was not a movie. It was just a succession of Bad Things Happening to People You Don't Identify With. Jeez.

Also, the whole thing was filmed in very low light, and the colors were all washed-out. I know, arty, but in this case it just accentuated the despair, like what, have they never heard of a sixty watt bulb in Poland? And dammit, I've lived at that latitude, or thereabouts; it's not that dark in winter. It's...lovely. But that's beside the point.

Also beside the point is the fact that the Polish itself made it more of a downer for me personally. I love Poland, and in fact have had only awesome experiences there, but after a year and some of Czech immersion, Polish sounds to me like a Czech speaker who has been repeatedly punched in the mouth, so that the words are basically running down the speaker's chin. Not pleasant listening. (In fairness, I should add that my obsessively Pole-ophile comrade last year, Depressed Michael, asserted that Czech sounds to Poles like the speech of little children, all high-pitched and squeaky. And I can see that. But I still prefer it.)


So. Not a feel-good movie of any kind, even for me, and I love dark movies. Hell, I thought Requiem for a Dream was good, even though it put me into a three-day funk. This wasn't even dark, though. It was plotless. It was just pain, with no reasoning or justification.

Ok then. Now I need to drink more beer. And watch Tender Mercies, or possibly All the Real Girls. To get the taste out.

Also, during college I owned a movie called Raising Victor Vargas. And now I no longer do. Give it back, dammit.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

req4dreem: a swift kick in the teeth, where you enjoy the salty taste of the blood in your mouth....

22/10/05 02:56  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'All the Real Girls'?! To be fair, I don't remember the movie that well. But based on what I can remember: double *ulch*. ('Raising Victor Vargas', on the other hand, was a lovely film. Unfortunately, I haven't seen your copy of it in about 2 years. )

--Catherine

22/10/05 18:02  
Blogger Erin said...

re: three day funk, don't ever EVER watch Trainspotting and Requiem back-to-back, without stopping either the TV or your alcohol intake.

bad idea. Trust me.

22/10/05 19:47  
Blogger Dan said...

YOu thought Trainspotting was bad. I live in Scotland! Every day I have to walk past the ten or more junkies how just sit around the student housing doped up on the Black-tar-heroin. However, I can see why they like the stuff, if I grew up in a country where you see the sun once or twice a year, injecting drano into my vains wouldn't seem so bad. Also, good God Catherine! Write back with all the gossip; i.e. is Big John engaged? Oh I like that. Every one pass it on.

23/10/05 12:41  
Blogger Wavelet said...

re: Raising Victor Vargas...

I didn't take it, honest.

And if you see my copy of "X-Men: The Movie," please tell it that mommy misses it and wants it to come home.

23/10/05 13:52  
Blogger ridley said...

If Big John's engaged, I think we need to file a class action suit for breach of promise.



Yeah...I don't where that came from either.

23/10/05 16:32  
Blogger erin is nice said...

requiem and trainspotting in the same day would have me lying on the floor in the fetal position for a week. however, it would be an appropriate way to end elliott smith memorial month.

24/10/05 10:35  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haven't seen Trainspotting or Zurek, but an imaginary dollar says "Pelle the Conqueror" wins, hands down, in the depressing category...

24/10/05 16:33  

Post a Comment

<< Home