Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space

So I just spent three and a half hours swilling wine with my colleagues in the department, and it just about rocked my face off. Those of you who know me are now cringing, but no! Apparently, at least white wine doesn't make me puke anymore! Good shit! Anyways, we've had quite a few of these little staff get-togethers in the departmental secretary's office, and usually they're somewhat gruesome...all of us sitting around, sipping wine and thinking about all the other places we'd rather be, and trying not to cross streams with the No Tact Freight Train that is my beloved boss. (beloved, seriously, I love this woman. It's not just the wine talking, I swear. She's awesome, she just doesn't have the tact gene.) But this time, despite the fact that we're all seriously fucking busy with exams and everything, we ended up having a blast. They started telling stories about the wild old days in the department, where departmental parties usually ended up with the (fiftyish) secretary dancing topless on a table. Fucking hilarious, I'm telling you, especially if you know these people. Anyway. It filled me with the Love.

Come to think of it, maybe it was because we're all busy out the ass right now. We were talking about something like that this afternoon; that when you're supposed to be doing something, something that has to get done by a certain time, that's the time that you find the most creative and worthwhile other projects to do. I know it's true for me; the best personal writing I've ever done was mostly done on weekends I had papers due. And it was the same with this thing today: we knew we all had other shit to do, and for some reason it made us able to chill the fuck out, relax, let the walls down a little. Sit around and tell mildly scandalous stories on a fucking gorgeous late spring day, until the lowering sun lights up all the roofs and the gables and the pigeons wheeling.

All these times that live in my memory, all these golden drinking experiences, and as of now one of the best is the time I sat around with two fiftyish Czech women and a 32-year-old Czech man and drank wine all through the afternoon. How the fuck am I going to leave this place? How the hell am I gonna do it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home