Sunday, April 10, 2005

This tMGs song should be on everyone's top 5 list of Songs That Reference Kurt Cobain Biting It

Raskolnikov felt sick
But he couldn't say why
When he saw his face reflected
In his victim's twinkling eye

Some things you'll do for money
And some you'll do for fun
But the things you do for love
Are gonna come back to you one by one

Last night there were several options open to me...could go to a club with a couple of Americans; could go drink beer with other Americans; could beat my head against a wall slowly but firmly for a nearly indistinguishable experience.

I'm proud of myself: I chose...none of the above. Instead, I put some music on, cracked open a beer, and started a book my dad bought me when he was here, Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment. The first few pages were ok. And then, at some point...holy fucking shit. Next thing I know, it's eleven o'clock, my first beer is still half-finished next to me, and I'm half-way through the book. And I can tell it's just going to get better. It's one of those books that's so fucking good I'm charging through it like a freight train, and yet I don't want it to end. It's so good I have this urge to skip ahead several pages at a time, so I can get more goodness.

And yet right now as we speak, I'm arsing around on the internet instead of reading it. Hey, you can't be intellectual all the time...or in my case, more than a tiny fraction of the time. It's all good.

1 Comments:

Blogger Wavelet said...

Wow. I spent the evening reading beer and drinking Dostoyevsky too. We must be on a wavelength.

Something about "White Nights" (one of his short stories) makes me sniffle every time.

10/4/05 11:20  

Post a Comment

<< Home