Tuesday, February 01, 2005

A post that gives new meaning to the word "trivial"

I just bought my fourth hat of this winter alone. Why is this?

Just to clarify, these aren't big Easter Sunday ostrich-feather hats or what-have-you. All four are or were very functional and utilitarian ski-cap type things.

So why have I owned four fucking caps this winter? Let's recap:

1. Big grey ski cap, "SANTA PAULA" in Gothic letters on the front fold. Yeah, Gothic letters, bitches. I acquired this one at the Chevron on 10th street in that ghetto town...I'll always have a soft spot for old SP; at least it wasn't Ojai. I managed to bring this cap safely through many drunken escapades and window climbing. Ironically, I lost it while stone cold sober, in a movie theater in Northern Bohemia. RIP.

2. Light grey, fleece, VERY warm, little loop on the back to clip onto your mountain climber harness. Bought at Tesco, the WalMart of Europe. Current location as far as I know: somewhere inside the Cologne cathedral. I discovered this loss as Jedno and I reached the top of the cathedral tower, which incidentally is 509 narrow slippery stairs from the bottom of the tower, when I began wondering why my head was so damn cold in the driving snow and sleet. In case you're wondering, the Koelner Dom does not have a lost-and-found that's open any time you can get to it.

3. Very cheap black cap with a red stripe. Purchased from a Vietnamese market in Cologne, following the events described in (2) above. Even for costing only 2 Euro, this cap kind of sucked. Thus, there was not much mourning when I accidentally left it in my private lesson student's car and the elves ate it.

4. Grey with blue and white border, all cool and hi-tech and moisture-wicking. Bought at the cool-ass ski shop near my office. It's made by SWIX, who make all sorts of neato cross-country skiing gear that I can't afford. But this cap was all on sale and shit. And did I mention it's made by SWIX! and thus complements my ongoing attempt to be a real live cross-country skier. The cap did come with these two little, like, pom-poms on the top, which is just not punk rock at all, but they were easily removed.

So there you have the story of my headgear, Winter 2004/2005. Let's just hope the tale ends here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home