Thursday, February 24, 2005

Emendation

Ok, I spent some time wrestling with online Czech-for-foreigners resources (and don't get me started about those--as Jedno has observed, the general attitude is 'Nobody wants to learn Czech, we hate ourselves and everyone else does, too', so all the resources are ordered towards Czechs learning English, so I have to fucking use individual Google searches to find out the damn gender and declension of each noun I come across. Which leads to a lot of hits in Polish, so I sure hope the genders are the same. Anyway.) and I've revised my translation of the song. It's a very slight change, but see what a difference it makes:

this is a song for you
from (inside) the bus (i see)
the cold and blueish outlines of the clouds
of the the birds and of the panelaky
Now it's more personal, like he's inside the bus, looking out on the land passing by. I like this version as well or better than the way I thought it was before. I've spent a lot of time on buses in this country; the mountains smoothing out to flat plains between here and Prague, the hills and forests out west. Little towns pass by in the blueish distance: a baroque castle or a church in the center, a smoking factory, and panelaky all around them.
Yeah. This is a song for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home