Monday, January 17, 2005

What squicks me out: Communal handtowels.

I guess I'm lucky they have any towel options at all in the bathroom at work; Lord knows they lack other options such as, say, hot water (did I mention it's -3 Celsius today?). But still, every time I gingerly dry the tips of my fingers on that big non-luxurious cotton towel, I think about all the other people who've used it. Shudder.

I remember my first introduction to the concept of the communal handtowel...I was about 12, and we were watching the sort-of classic Clint Eastwood movie Firefox, in which he plays a fighter pilot on a top-secret mission to steal a high tech Soviet jet that's controlled by...MIND BULLETS!! I shit you not, that's what it's about. Go rent it, it's great. There's a scene in there where Eastwood is fleeing through the Moscow Metro, and he ends up hiding in the Metro bathroom. A soldier comes into the bathroom, washes his hands, and wipes them on the very obviously filthy communal handtowel. To which my family reacted with a collective Eeeewwwww.

Little did I realize then that ten short years later, I'd experience the (post) Communist communal handtowel on a far more personal basis.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kitty said...

I think REI or someplace like that sells these little backpacker towels. Quick drying and fold into small little squares. Sounds like the investment might be worht your and your family's piece of mind. Either that or use your skirt or pants.
Of course, I went on a survival adventure and had to use either sand or sagebrush as TP. I lived to tell the story and I'm sure you'll live to tell yours. It's just that your story makes people squeamish, esp. moms.
You are a good person and God is obviously protecting you for bigger and better things. Good luck in your decisions for the coming years. God bless, Kitty

17/1/05 23:53  

Post a Comment

<< Home