Friday, January 14, 2005

This is the last week of the semester here at the uni. It's known as Credit Week, because this is the week where every student in the department knocks on my door looking for affirmation. I'm kidding, of course; it's just the ones in my 2nd and 3rd year classes, and what they're looking for is my signature on their credit books. They have a weird system here: first of all, ninety percent of the classes are pass/fail, or in their terms, credit only, and only a few of those have a final exam. The students have the right to three attempts to pass the final exam. Which makes it sound super easy, except there's some other aspect to the system that I don't understand, which forces the students to take like 16 classes every semester. So it's tough, all right, it's just not that hard in any one class. It's like the Bataan Death March of mediocrity.

Anyways. The other thing is that they all have these little booklets, where they write down the names of all the courses they're taking, and at the end of the semester they have to get the instructor's signature. They also have to enter it on the computer system, which...defies description. Basically I have to go online, book a classroom for a 3 minute period sometime next week, and then they all go online and sign in, and we all pretend that we met there and did the credit signing then, because Heaven forbid the date in their credit books should differ from the pretend date in the computer, even though it's PRETEND and we all KNOW it. So I've spent the week writing the Czech word for "pass" and a random date next week and then signing underneath it, in a tiny-ass blank space. I've written my own name so many damn times I'm starting to misspell it.

But it's ok. Last day of the semester, and it looks like I'll survive it without any major fuck-ups (knock on wood). Walked to work this morning through the weather...it was doing that chunky rain thing. Not snow, not hail, not sleet, just...chunky rain. Maybe it is called sleet. I wouldn't know, frozen stuff doesn't usually fall from the sky where I come from.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home