Monday, January 31, 2005

This book has a character named "Madame Psychosis"...

...which totally cracks my shit up. The novel in question is Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace, and it's one of the reasons I haven't posted much lately. The other reason being that I'm BONE IDLE. It's also like like 1,000 pages long, of which the last 40 pages are endnotes in 8 point font. Plus the chronology and plot are completely whacked in the best post-modern style--I had to take notes while reading for the first 400 pages or so. But damn it's addictive. I finished it a couple days ago. I'm still sort of digesting it, but I think it's one of my favorite modernish novels. Seriously, it's so good. Fucking hilarious, and yet moving as well.

Here's a little quotey-quote:
The Union of the Hideously and Improbably Deformed was unofficially founded in London in 1940 by the cross-eyed, palate-clefted, and wildly carbuncular wife of a junior member of the House of Commons, a lady whom Sir Winston Churchill, P.M.U.K., having had several glasses of port plus a toddy at a reception for an American Lend-Lease administrator, had addressed in a fashion wholly inappropriate to social intercourse between civilized gentlemen and ladies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home