Monday, January 24, 2005

A post that only Jedno will really appreciate

So I live in this place called "the Czech Republic." Three whole words, every time I have to refer to the place where I live. Others before me have seen this as a problem; in fact, people have been trying to come up with a one-word designation for the country ever since they parted brass rags with "-slovakia" in 1993. Here are some suggestions that I found on a message board here:

Czechia. The semi-official name. I think it sounds gay.
Czech. That's an adjective. Unacceptable.
Moravia. Ha! The Moravians make up the smaller and poorer half of the CR, and like most somewhat ignored minorities, they've got their pride, dammit. It's as if we changed "the United States" to "Dixie."
East Germany. Hey, no one's using it anymore, and it describes the economic and architectural situation pretty well.
Achjovia. "Ach jo..." is the Czech equivalent of "mm-hm." It's the favorite word of old ladies on the tram.

And my favorite:
Tojeproblem
. "That's a problem..." Basically, it means that whatever you wanted, you're shit out of luck. Czechs love saying this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home