Thursday, December 02, 2004

Help me please

Ok, so I work at this university. And I really really love working here, not least because I don't have to work very hard pretty much ever. Not working hard is my favorite way to be, which is yet another reason I didn't do my homework for four years at the college (other reasons included being depressed, being distracted, and being drunk, or sometimes a three-fer: drunkenly distracting myself from being depressed).

But. Next week I have to give a lecture. A Culture Talk, to be specific. These are supposed to voluntary contributions to enrich the life of the English Department, given out of the goodness of our native-speaker hearts. Nonetheless, when I tried to gently explain to my Czech colleague that I, for one, would rather not give an hour-long lecture on Some Aspect of British or American Culture, I was given to understand that continuing to have a job was voluntary, too, when it came to that. So, after establishing that my thesis on Goethe's Faust failed to meet the requirements, I decided to do mine on...get ready for it..."Independent Music In America". I have no idea why I picked this topic, but at least I can play clips of music, and that'll take up some time. Anyway, if you have any brilliant ideas about what the fuck I can talk about, please please please let me know. Because I have to deliver this lecture a week from today. Gulp.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

Indie Music? Come on! O.K. I know this it not helpfull, but don't you think that is a little cheap? When there is plenty you could talk about that would be educational and usefull for your students. The big topic out here, since the election at least and something that you could easily lecture on, is moral motivation in the lives of Americans. Tell them why millions of Americans thought that abortion is more important than out-sourcing. Not that I'm telling you to get up in front of them and tell them that they are all a bunch of freedom hating athiests, in fact quite the opposite. What I am saying is that you, if anyone, can give a talk about the real state of American culture and how it is enriched, not stymied (I think that is how it is spelled), by our traditions and faith.

2/12/04 12:25  
Blogger Prophet said...

somehow i was hoping you were going to say that before i even read it, and then i almost peed my pants when you actually wrote it! i mean dan's idea is good too, but music is one of those universal languages. just try to avoid a lot of slang, unless the department likes that kind of thing.

2/12/04 19:04  
Blogger ridley said...

(Thank you, prophet. I need all the affirmation I can get. Also, I love almost causing incontinence.)

Dan!! You're killing me! I don't want to work hard, dammit! And they are a bunch of freedom-hating atheists...well, more atheist than freedom-hating, actually. Actually, though, I have to give another of these bloody lectures next semester, and I might take your advice then...something about The Victory of the Moral Gut Reaction in American politics. Although "victory" is a bit strong, I think. It might actually be easier to talk about it with Czechs than it is with the Americans over here...they're all so damn touchy about it. I don't know, if Kerry had won, I would have been kind of bummed, but these people are all wounded and hurt about it, like W personally shot their dog or something.

But seriously, I'm interested. Tell me more about moral motivation in American culture, on your blog if not on mine.

3/12/04 03:23  

Post a Comment

<< Home