Tuesday, November 16, 2004

The curse of the [mylastnames] has come upon me

(Hm, that title doesn't sound nearly as impressive when I'm preserving my anonymity. Alas.)

I've got hives, y'all. Actually, at this point, the hives have me. I am so fucking pissed about this I could spit. And the thing is, I'm never going to be able to pinpoint what's causing it. My family has a history of this, too; my dad came out in hives for no fucking reason several years ago. He looked like he'd been pistol-whipped, and the only reason anyone ever came up with was stress. Same thing happened to my bro last Christmas; the boy turned into one continuous hive for five straight days. We figured maybe it was sophomore exams and, y'know, drama.
But if stress and drama is the cause, why the fuck do I have them now? Lord only knows there were plenty of times at TAC when I had both drama and stress in such quantities that I thought I was going to get a fucking ulcer, or that thing where you grit your teeth compulsively. And the thing is, everything's going great out here. I don't have any stress. Well, I have stress now, but that's because of the motherfucking hives. Seriously, people, my face will make children cry at this point. I have hives on the palms of my hands, for fuck's sake. I am so irritated by this whole state of affairs that I feel like writing this entire bleeding essay in italics.
Anyways. For once I'm actually grateful that I don't have any boy prospects nearby. 'Cause if I did...well, I wouldn't have them for long.


2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

you aren't on any antibiotics, are you? because I'm pretty sure that's why I got hives the one time... allergic reaction. or whatever. yeah, what wavelet said.

18/11/04 04:32  
Blogger Kitty said...

I hope that by now the hives are clearing up. You should take some Benadryl or some type of antihistamine if you aren't already. You can also use the cream antihistamine that you rub on your skin, but it sounds like you'd have to roll in it to cover them all. Remember Benadryl will make you sleepy, so you could try something like Claritin or Allegra, which causes less drowsiness. But the antihistamines will stop any itching and help the hives to go away. An oatmeal bath helps with itching as well.
Hives can come from many different things. The first thing you do is to think back to what you did differently the few days before the hives broke out. Change of laundry or bath soap. Bubble bath, lotion, perfume. Food that you've never eaten before. Also, many people are allergic to shellfish, tomatoes, nuts, eggs and food addictives. Also, antibiotics like Nomikkh said. You might be having a reaction to the water, but I think you've been there long enough that it shouldn't be a factor. Cold weather also causes hives in some people. Another thing that could be going on is not actually hives, but another type of skin problem. There are several things that make bumps similar to hives, but with slight differences. Strep throat can turn into scarletina (scarlet fever), but it is more of a sandpapery kind of rash. There is a comman childhood rash called Pityriasis Rosea and there is also Chicken Pox. There is Fifth Disease which besides the rash makes your face look like someone slapped you. And stress can cause it but it doesn't sound like that is a problem for you at this time. Hives should go away pretty quickly if you can find the cause and get rid of it, although they can linger or go away and come back at a later time. The other rashes will linger longer and probably need to be checked by a Doctor. If your hives aren't going away, you should go see a Doctor for something stronger to get rid of them. And I'm not a Doctor although I am an EMT, but with 5 kids, we've experienced all of the above so I know a little more than I would have cared to learn.
Hope you are hive free soon! At least you don't have Typhoid like DZ over in Africa. God bless, Kitty

18/11/04 19:46  

Post a Comment

<< Home