Sunday, October 10, 2004

I love this country

I turned 22 on Friday. It was an awesome birthday--my classes went really well, and two of my buddies and I decided to head down to Prague for a party that our TEFL trainers were having. Once there, I made the mistake of letting them know it was my birthday, which resulted in tequila shots, and lots of them. Yeah dog. I didn't actually get that hammered, or at least I think I didn't...there don't seem to be any serious gaps in my memory of the night, and that's always a good sign.
The next morning dawned bright and early--far too bright, far too early. I woke up on my friend's couch, hungover like a motherfucker, and discovered that clara, my main girl from the Summer of the Roadtrip, was waiting by the payphone at the Prague bus station. Poor girl had been on a bus from Berlin all night, got to Prague at 6:30 am...because I'd blithely assured her the night before that "Hells yes, we'll still be up at 6:30--hell, we'll still be partying, that's how we roll, girl!" But the flesh is weak, and thus I was sleeping the sleep of the unjustified when she called at 7, 7:30, and 8. At that point, she, being an intrepid traveler, went to sleep on a bench for two hours. Anyways, I woke up eventually, and stumbled out to find her. Several false starts and two metro rides later, we had a joyful reunion in front of the Powder Gate on Naměsti Republiky. So good.

On the way to the joyful reunion, however, I had an interesting experience; I'm still not sure whether it's a good omen or a bad omen. I was investigating the contents of the gutter* in an alley behind Florenc Metro station, and I saw a very familiar looking object. No, not a used condom, you nasty-minded people. It was a bullet. I'm not sure what kind, but it was definitely a bullet, a live bullet in fact. So now I have a cool little souvenir of the Russian Mob activity in Prague. I'm pretty sure it's a good omen; it made me happy, anyway.

*Never mind why. Let's just say that I got "Chundermonkey" on the Drunk Test, and the Drunk Test never lies.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, I found a couple of bullets when I was in Munich. Not cause I am a chunder monkey though, just cause I have to look at my feet when I walk (otherwise I might be forced to interact with someone).
Joel

11/10/04 20:54  
Blogger Unknown said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Wish I could've been there. yay for tequila shots!

12/10/04 05:33  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, yeah...Happy Birthday!!!
-Jedno

12/10/04 14:43  
Blogger Prophet said...

Think of it this way. God gave you a really awesome birthday present. Happy Birthday.

14/10/04 17:26  

Post a Comment

<< Home