Thursday, September 09, 2004

I think I'm too happy

Well, not really happy, whatever the fuck that means. Just excited, looking forward to life, totally fucking jazzed, when you come right down to it. I'm in this town Liberec, which is fucking gorgeous, and I'm going to be a fucking university instructor, and one of my good buddies from the TEFL course is also going to be teaching at the uni. Every ten minutes or so, one of us will look over and go, "Hey ProFESSor...what's another word for pirate's treasure?" Get it? Cause we're professors, see? Well, not really, but a damn sight closer than I ever expected to be. In the interview, the head of the department was like, Yeah, we're really looking for an MA or PhD for this position, but...that hasn't happened yet, so...please work for us."

Which is how I got to be three months out of getting a BA, and freakin' teaching university students. I mean, HOLY crap. Yeah dog.

Last night we were wandering around Liberec at like 10pm, and we pass this one place. An internet caf, we think. Just as we're walking past, this CRASH of a drum fill blasts out. Immediate beeline through the door. Inside, the place turns out to be the most bad-ass punk rock club I've ever seen--there's a guy on stage playing the shit out of the drums, and two other guys are rocking the techno. Laptop techno, not DJ as much. It was _so_ _cool_. The place looked like 921 Gilman or whatever that punk club was in Berkeley, except they've got a full bar with damn good 50 cent beer on draft. "I think I've found our new home," yells my friend over the drums. "Fuckin' A, bro."

So please, everylastone of you kids, and you know who you are: drop everything, default on your student loans, and come visit me. It's killer.


But see, this is me after being here for two days, in gorgeous fall weather, before I've actually worked a day. Doubtless, the other shoe will drop, and I'll be cold, lonely, and miserable. It so seldom happens that I'm really skied for days on end, and I keep anticipating the day it all turns to shit. But just for now...I'm good.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

50 CENT DRAFTS?!?! Why the hell am I still in Monterey?! Good question, seeing as the only joy I have in life is going to EB to look at games and talk to the Cute Gamer Boy.

9/9/04 20:01  
Blogger Wavelet said...

all that, and punk clubs too??? sign me up!

p.s. I'm thinking easter break...

9/9/04 21:43  
Blogger talitha cumi said...

What's the nearest major airport?

9/9/04 22:15  
Blogger ridley said...

I think either Prague or Dresden. Prague is probably your best bet, cause I know for a fact it's a $3 bus ride up to Liberec, and it only takes an hour. You could also try something creative like flying to Dresden or Berlin and taking a train. I don't know, just get here somehow; I'm finding more neat things to do in this town every day.

Also, Easter break sounds fantastic, cause I've got some time off, and it should be, I dunno, almost above freezing by then.

10/9/04 08:00  
Blogger clara said...

well, i'm coming DAMMIT and am getting increasingly more nervous about travelling alone so one of you girlies sure as hell better buck up and COME WITH ME ALREADY!!!

17/9/04 19:03  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wish I could, man... I have money and Sultan issues to deal with. And I'm the wrong end of half a bottle of wine, and shot of 1800, and some beer. hehe.

18/9/04 06:22  

Post a Comment

<< Home