Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Holy shiznit

So apparently I just got a job. And tomorrow at 12:30, I'm going to climb on a bus with all my worldly possessions, at least all the ones in this hemisphere, and travel up to a small mountain city called Liberec. That's "retz", not "rek", by the way. At that point, I'll be picked up by people I've spent a total of ten minutes conversing with, people that I'd never heard of before yesterday afternoon. These people will take me to some sort of dorm-type housing. I get one room, a bathroom shared with one person, and a kitchen shared with a bunch of people. Yeah, that's right: I travel half-way around the world, and the big perk of the job I finally acquire is that I get to live in the Commie St. Kates. Fuck.

Oh well. It sounds like a pretty good job; I'll be teaching at a technical university, only fifteen classes a week, too. And they're all supposed to be pre-intermediate or above, although fuck knows what that actually means. I'm just scared that they'll discover immediately that I'm totally unqualified for the job, inasmuch as the last dude they had in there had a Ph.D., and I have nothing more than a BA in The Sweet Sound of My Own Voice. Anyway, apparently I snowed them in the 5 freaking minute interview...the hell? I mean, I went up there for one job, which turned out to be utter bollocks because (a) the job sucked and was scary (28 lessons a week? Of 17 year olds? 20 kids to a class? The fuck?) and (b) it turned out there was only one position open instead of two, which was bullshit because they told both me and the girl I went up there with that we both had jobs. Oh yeah, and they wanted her instead of me. Bastard people, I'm telling you. On the other hand, as I was trying to beat them at their own game by telling them I didn't want their slave-driving crapfest anyway, they packed me off immediately to an interview at the university, where the people were much nicer and loved me. My head was spinning, seriously.

So...you know...we'll see how it goes. It's only an hour from Prague, which rules. And there's skiing right nearby in the winter...which I can do with my not-bountiful paychecks. So come visit me. All of y'all.

1 Comments:

Blogger talitha cumi said...

Keeping an eye out for cheap tickets.

8/9/04 02:54  

Post a Comment

<< Home