Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Bullet Points About Praha

-->I like living where I do. Prague is gorgeous, everyone knows that, but actually they're talking about the city center, which, yeah, architecture, moldings and what not. It's dazzling.
I don't live there, though. I live way the fuck out in Praha 9, in Hloubetin. It's not beautiful at all--graffiti, brick-like buildings from the seventies, basically stereotypical decaying totalitarian regime. But it has this air about it, this chin-thrust-out shabbiness, like "This is us, fuck you if you don't like it." I do like it, though. I aspire to that attitude myself a lot of the time. Plus, it's got all the indie cred of being ghetto, without the violent crime. Which brings me to my next bullet point:

-->Public drunkeness and public urination. Now, I was raised by the Pit, so I'm no stranger to either of these. In fact, I've engaged in them many a time. I was a little surprised, though, the first time I saw a guy taking a piss in the bushes at 4 in the afternoon. And, being a Pit girl, this kind of behaviour just makes me feel more at home.

-->From what I can gather, proper subway etiquette is to be silent and stonefaced the whole time, unless you're with your significant other, in which case you make out, silently but with passion, until you get off. Or until your stop. Heh. Yes, as a matter of fact I am just jealous.

-->Peanut butter and tomato is my new favorite sandwich. It sounds nast, but seriously, it's great. This isn't really about Prague, I know, but I discovered it because of my shopping technique, which is wander the aisles looking for what looks cheap, will stave off scurvy, and doesn't need cooking. I have a kitchen, I just can't get off my ass. In this case, it was tomatoes and peanut butter. Genius.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home